1. Home
  2. Cities
List
Map
Timeline
Routes
Stories

Igreja de São Francisco

Igreja de São Francisco - Vitor Oliveira, CC BY-SA 2.0 1/6
©Vitor Oliveira, CC BY-SA 2.0 (2019)
Igreja de São Francisco - Vitor Oliveira from Torres Vedras, PORTUGAL, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons 2/6
©Vitor Oliveira from Torres Vedras, PORTUGAL, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons (2017)
Igreja de São Francisco - RicardoFilipePereira 3/6
©RicardoFilipePereira (2016)
Igreja de São Francisco - Flemming Berthelsen 4/6
©Flemming Berthelsen (2025)
Igreja de São Francisco - Flemming Berthelsen 5/6
©Flemming Berthelsen (2025)
Igreja de São Francisco - Flemming Berthelsen 6/6
©Flemming Berthelsen (2025)
Igreja de São Francisco
Show on map
Photography SpotsScenic ViewGuided ToursPeaceful SpotGardenChurchMoorish

Introduction

The two domes above the roofline are the first thing you see, and they are the result of a church that has turned around twice. Igreja de São Francisco is what remains of Tavira's oldest monastery, founded by the Franciscans outside the town wall in the late 13th or early 14th century. The earthquakes of 1722 and 1755, a collapse around 1840 and a lightning fire in 1881 took most of the Gothic monastery church. What remains is the ribbed vault of the sacristy and two Gothic chapels that stand open in the garden next door. The rest is the 19th-century rebuilding, and that is what makes the place worth standing in front of. Few churches show so clearly what a lay brotherhood did with a ruin.

Research

Historical highlights

The oldest monastery in the Algarve

Nobody knows when the Franciscans came to Tavira. The monastery is missing from the order's register of 1272 and appears for the first time in a new one from 1330. A Franciscan chronicle says the Templars founded the house. A better story than the true one, but no document supports it. In 1881 Damião de Vasconcelos called the monastery "o mais antigo do Algarve", and that holds. It stood outside the town wall with its main portal facing west, toward what is now the garden.

What is left of the Gothic

Go into the sacristy. The ceiling is a six-part ribbed vault, gathered in a single keystone above capitals with foliage, related to the stonemasons of the Batalha monastery in the 15th century. Some guess that the room was the chapter house. Out in the garden stand two roofless Gothic chapels: Capela dos Machados from the late 14th century with masons' marks, and Capela dos Costas from the 15th century, linked to the merchant Luís Afonso Painho around 1458. Burial chapels for the town's traders, not for the nobility.

King, brotherhoods and earthquakes

In 1517 D. Manuel reformed the monastery and had his coat of arms and the armillary sphere set in the chancel vault. In the 16th century the church housed the brotherhood that became Santa Casa da Misericórdia, and in the late 17th century the lay brotherhood Ordem Terceira de São Francisco took over the transept. In 1743 Francisco Pereira built the brotherhood's Casa do Despacho. Then came the earthquakes of 1722 and 1755. In 1758 the monastery had still not been repaired.

The church that turned around twice

When the religious orders were abolished in 1834, the church ended up with the Ordem Terceira. Around 1840 or 1843 part of the nave collapsed. The brotherhood gave up the nave, opened a door where the altar had stood, and turned the entrance toward the Quartel da Atalaia barracks. In 1844 the municipality bought the site of the nave for a town cemetery. In 1881 lightning struck and the church burned. In 1884 it was turned again, now with the entrance from the square through the north arm of the transept. Hence the dome over the crossing and the lantern dome over the old chancel. Inside: a Baroque altarpiece and six niches with processional figures.

Practical

The main portal faces north, toward Praça Zacarias Guerreiro, which the church shares with Igreja de São José do Hospital. The garden next door is municipal and open; the two Gothic chapels stand freely inside it. In 2025 the municipality and the Ordem Terceira agreed on a restoration of roofs, facades and bell tower for 1.27 million euros, so expect scaffolding. The Procissão dos Passos at Easter sets out from here.

Research

Timeline and context

Timeline

  • 1272 The monastery is missing from the Franciscans' register.
  • 1312 The pope allows the Franciscans their own churches in Portugal.
  • 1330 The monastery in Tavira is mentioned for the first time, together with Loulé.
  • Late 14th and 15th century Capela dos Machados and Capela dos Costas; the ribbed vault of the sacristy.
  • 1517 D. Manuel reforms the monastery and sets his coat of arms in the chancel vault.
  • Late 17th century The Ordem Terceira takes over the transept.
  • 1722 and 1755 Earthquakes; in 1758 the monastery is still not repaired.
  • 1834 The orders are abolished; the church goes to the Ordem Terceira.
  • C. 1840/1843 Part of the nave collapses; first turn, toward the Quartel da Atalaia.
  • 1844 The municipality makes the site of the nave a town cemetery.
  • 1881 Lightning strike and fire.
  • 1884 Second turn; entrance from Praça Zacarias Guerreiro.
  • 1918 New town cemetery; the site becomes a garden, opened in the 1950s.
  • 2020 Listing procedure opened; 2025 agreement on restoration.

Outside the wall

The mendicant orders built where there was space and people, and that was outside the town wall. The monastery stood outside the wall with its main gate facing west, and the town grew out around it. The site has changed use every time the town needed it: a cemetery from 1844, because the old one in the castle had to be replaced, a garden after 1918. The garden is about 1,800 square meters, and the chapels stand in it like furniture from a house that has been torn down.

Not listed, but on the way

The church is not a listed monument. The case was opened in 2020 and in 2024 still stood as "em vias de classificação". The hesitation is understandable. The Gothic is little, the rest is 19th-century patchwork. But that is also the point. You are standing in a building that was turned twice by a brotherhood that patched and rebuilt instead of starting over. The restoration from 2025 covers roofs, facades and bell tower, and the order has committed to keeping the church open to visitors for at least ten years.

Research

AI-generated content

The text and narration were created with artificial intelligence — the voice is synthetic. The content is reviewed editorially, but errors may occur.